Below, are useful government resources. In particular, the State of California has several landlord/tenant publications that are useful for understanding current regulations.
- Landlord/Tenant Book Index
- California Tenants: A guide to rights and responsibilities (PDF)
- Rent Increases: Basic Information for Tenants (LT-2)
- When a Tenant’s Personal Property Has Been Left in the Rental Unit (LT-5) (PDF)
- Outline: Landlords’ and Tenants’ Responsibilities for Habitability and Repairs: Legal Guide (LT-8)
Note to readers:
The California Tenants guide is intended as a practical resource for both tenants and landlords. It contains information about rental applications, discrimination, security deposits, repair responsibilities, rent increases, termination of leases, and eviction notices. Be sure to use the inventory checklist before moving in, and again when moving out.
Nothing on this page should be considered legal advice. Please consult an attorney on all legal matters.